Scientific Linux Fermi 6.2 was released on May 7, 2012
Download AreaNetwork install - i386
Network install - x86_64
DVD install - i386
DVD install - x86_64
- The Release Notes for Scientific Linux Fermi are readily available online.
- The Release Notes for SL can be reviewed online.
- The Release Notes from upstream can also be reviewed online.
Added RPM'sPackages that were added to Scientific Linux Fermi, not in plain Scientific Linux. The release notes contain more details.
Change RPM'sPackages that were changed from the original Scientific Linux packages. The release notes contain more details.
Tweak RPM'sTweak RPM's can be added to change a feature without disturbing the rest of the release. The release notes contain more details. The generic Scientific Linux rpm's start with SL_ The tweak rpm's specific to Fermilab start with zz_
LimitationsEven Scientific Linux Fermi has limitations. The release notes contain more details.
- AFS support for compound principals is missing
- CryptoCard is not supported
- "text" install only installs "minimum". There is no X . This is a VERY limited install.
- If there is not "enough" memory the kdump "first boot" screen will pop up a "error box". This "error" looks "bad" but it is just informational.
- During a network install there is a "screen" that displays the "installation" repositories. There is no need to disable any of these. Please DO NOT disable any of these repos.
- If you enter a "hostname" during the install and you have selected "dhcp" the "hostname" will be what is returned by the "hostname" command but this will NOT set DHCP_HOSTNAME to this "hostname" as happened on SLF 5. To enable dhcp hostname edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-. Add DHCP_HOSTNAME=.
- Note that updates are only between the same major version. So in this case that is SLF 6 to SLF 6. This is the same as TUV. There are NO UPGRADES from SLF 4 or 5 to SLF 6 , not even yum upgrades !!!!